Mess-free, easy to bake cake to impress this Mother’s Day
With Mother’s day this Sunday, we’re sharing with you a loved recipe from our foodie favourite, Mary Berry. This all-in-one bowl recipe is easy peasy and will mean there’s less washing up.
As the days welcome you with warmer sunshine and blue skies, it is a clear sign that spring is in full swing; and with it, Mother’s Day is just around the corner. The shops are stocked with beautiful presents and cards to help show your love and appreciation, but hand-made items are always a win too. Why not try a home-made cake this year, and if you’re not too confident in the kitchen, go for this mess-free, easy peasy apple cake. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream as a dessert or with a coffee for a tasty treat.
225g self-raising flour
1 level tsp baking powder
225g caster sugar
2 large eggs
½ tsp almond extract
150g butter, melted
250g cooking apples, peeled and cored
25g flaked almonds
1. Preheat the oven to 160C/fan 140C/gas 3. Lightly grease a deep 20cm loose-bottomed cake tin.
2. Measure the flour, baking powder, sugar, eggs, almond extract and melted butter into a bowl. Mix well until blended, then beat for a minute.
3. Spread half this mixture in the prepared tin. Thickly slice the apples and lay on top of the mixture in the tin, piling mostly towards the centre. Using 2 dessert spoons, roughly spoon the remaining mixture over the apples. This is an awkward thing to do, but just make sure that the mixture covers the centre well as it will spread out in the oven.
4. Sprinkle with the flaked almonds.
5. Bake in the preheated oven for 1¼-1½ hours until golden and coming away from the sides of the tin.
Recipe source - http://www.maryberry.co.uk/recipes/baking/the-very-best-apple-dessert-cake